Thursday, August 18, 2011

I wanna be like Sarah!

Well hello friends! Long time no see! It's been two a half weeks since I last blogged and I have no idea where the time has gone! Life is good I guess :)

Let's skip all the introductory stuff and just get into the good things! PICTURES!

Alrighty, first item on the agenda.....

As we all know, I LOOOOVE Sarah over at Thrifty Decor Chick. She has THE best ideas EVER! I mean, literally, everything that she does, I want to do. Therefore, I am dedicating this blog to her! All the projects/pictures you are about to see are her original ideas and I have just copied them...I guess copying is the highest form of flattery....I hope she sees it that way too! (at least I give her credit).

Okie dokie...on one of Sarah's latest posts, she shared her obsession with painting interior doors black and leaving the trim white. At first I wasn't sure how it would look, but when I saw the finished product, I just KNEW I had to do it too! (and by 'me' I mean 'the hubs'...te-he-he). Here is a picture of our front door in the little landing area on the INSIDE of the house...


EH, not bad, just not anything special. Looks like a door. BUUUUUUT, just you wait! Look at the next picture once it has been painted black....


OH.MY.GOSH. It looks FAB-U-LOUS! I just love it to pieces. The picture does not do it justice. It looks much better in person. Here is a picture of our pantry door (I painted it black too)...


Having the pantry door black really helps balance out the black appliances. I can't believe the difference that it has made! I understand black doors aren't for everyone...but they aren't the ones paying my mortgage :)

Ok, onto the next. Our entertainment center/area/buffet thingy has been a sore spot in my decorating mind since the day we bought it. I love it. It's a great piece of furniture. BUT, For the love of all crafting, I could NOT find a way to decorate it and make it look pretty....UNTILLLLLL, I saw Sarah's blog post about re-decorating her family room! She had almost the exact same set up for their TV area. I thought to myself 'If I can copy her ideas, I'm sure this area would look better!' And by golly, it does look better! Here is a picture of HER entertainment center area...

And here is a picture of MY entertainment center area....

There are obvious differences, but there are definitely some similarities. I wish I could have two lamps on our buffet, but it's not wide enough and it would block the corner of the TV (and the hubs does NOT like that idea at all)! I also like how she has used an old, antique dresser! It looks great! (She got it on Craigslist for $100...AWESOME!)

Alrighty, one more thing.

I have told y'all before that the hubs and I bought a starter home (a.k.a....splint entry, builder grade home). We/I are trying to make small changes to help set it apart and make it more 'homey-ish' and less 'builder-ish'. 

In our master bedroom and the upstairs living room, we have the cheap, ugly ceiling fans...ya know, the ones with the glass scones where the bulbs face outward...not attractive. SOOOO, when I saw on TDC (Thrifty Decor Chick) how she 'prettied up a ceiling fan' I was sold! I HAD to do it! I went to Lowe's and bought some little lamp parts (they are call cupplings and nipples...weird, I know!) I spent about $3 on these parts. I then covered an old lamp shade from the thrift store with fabric and hot glued on some coordinating ribbon. (you can go to her website for the full-on tutorial...she is way better at explaining it than I would be). 

BEHOLD, the NEW pretty ceiling fan....

 Here's a closer picture...

Isn't that just SOOO cute! It really changes the look of it! The hubs is STILL deciding if he likes it or not, but at this point, it's been up there for three weeks, so I think it will stay.

So, that's it...that's all I have done in the two and half weeks since I last blogged. I hope to post again on Sunday, as I just finished up two crafting projects tonight. YOU'RE GONNA LOVE THEM! Stay tuned!

Until next time...

Ta-Ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment